New Delhi, Nov 10 (IANS): A powerful explosion near Gate No. 1 of Delhi’s Red Fort Metro Station on Monday evening left at least ten people dead and more than a dozen injured, triggering panic across the national capital and prompting security alerts in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra.
The blast occurred in a parked car, leading to a chain reaction of fires that engulfed three other vehicles nearby. Eyewitnesses reported hearing multiple blast-like sounds before plumes of smoke filled the area around the historic Red Fort, one of the most crowded zones in Old Delhi. According to the Delhi Fire Department, the first emergency call reporting the explosion came around 6:45 pm. Seven fire engines and several ambulances were dispatched to the site to contain the blaze and rescue the injured. The victims were taken to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital, where doctors confirmed multiple fatalities.
The impact of the explosion shattered nearby car windows and sent debris flying across the road. Though the exact cause remains unknown, initial police reports suggest a high-intensity blast. Officials are investigating whether an improvised explosive device (IED) was involved. The area was cordoned off by police soon after, with forensic teams beginning evidence collection late into the evening.
The Red Fort area, which draws thousands of visitors daily, descended into chaos moments after the blast. Videos circulating on social media showed vehicles on fire and pedestrians fleeing in panic. Police set up barricades across nearby roads and temporarily halted Metro services at the Red Fort station. The Delhi Police Special Cell and senior Crime Branch officers reached the spot to oversee rescue and investigation operations.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was briefed shortly after the explosion. Government sources said the Prime Minister spoke with Union Home Minister Amit Shah and took stock of the situation. Home Minister Shah also held discussions with Delhi Police Commissioner Satish Golcha and Intelligence Bureau chief Tapan Deka, while instructing National Investigation Agency (NIA) Director General Sadanand Vasant Date to send an NIA team to the site for investigation.
A nationwide alert was sounded in Delhi, Mumbai, and Uttar Pradesh after the explosion. Authorities strengthened security at major public spaces, airports, and transport hubs. Meanwhile, a senior official said, “All state police forces have been directed to remain on maximum alert, especially in sensitive areas.”
Although there has been no official confirmation of a terror link, sources in the intelligence community said the timing and nature of the explosion are being examined in connection with a recent crackdown on terror networks. Earlier in the day, Jammu & Kashmir Police had announced the busting of an inter-state terror module linked to Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, which led to the recovery of 2,900 kg of explosive materials, assault rifles, pistols, timers, and other bomb-making components from the Faridabad area of Haryana, near Delhi. Seven individuals were arrested during the operation.
Police officials said that given the proximity of the earlier seizure and the explosion’s location in central Delhi, investigators are exploring the possibility of a larger coordinated network. “The connection, if any, will be known only after forensic verification,” said a senior Delhi Police source.
Following the blast, security was also stepped up at the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) headquarters in Nagpur. Checkpoints were set up across Delhi, and bomb detection squads deployed in crowded zones. Entry points into the capital from Noida, Ghaziabad, and Gurugram are under heavy surveillance. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation officials confirmed increased patrolling across several major stations, while Mumbai Police intensified security at key locations such as CST, Churchgate, and Gateway of India. Uttar Pradesh Police were also put on high alert, especially in cities bordering the national capital.
Eyewitnesses at the scene described the explosion as sudden and devastating. “I was near the Metro gate when a deafening sound shook the ground. Flames shot out of a car, and people started running,” said a local shopkeeper. The Delhi Fire Department said that it took over an hour to douse the flames and cool down the area due to the risk of re-ignition.
Preliminary findings indicate that the explosion originated from a car parked close to the Metro entrance. Forensic experts collected samples of burnt metal, plastic, and residues for chemical analysis. Drones were deployed to capture aerial footage and assess the spread of damage. Investigators are also examining CCTV footage from the surrounding roads to identify any suspicious movement prior to the explosion.
The incident has revived concerns over urban security preparedness in the national capital. The Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage site and a symbol of India’s sovereignty, has remained under tight security for decades, especially during national events like Independence Day. Monday’s blast, taking place in its vicinity, has again highlighted vulnerabilities in the city’s surveillance network.
As of late Monday night, no group had claimed responsibility for the attack. Both the NIA and the Intelligence Bureau are coordinating with Delhi Police to trace the origin of the explosion. Officials have appealed to citizens to remain calm and avoid spreading rumours on social media.
The Red Fort blast has drawn comparisons to previous terror-related incidents in Delhi, including the 2008 serial blasts and the 2011 High Court bombing, both of which exposed gaps in urban policing and intelligence coordination. Monday’s incident, occurring at a location of immense historical and national significance, has left the capital shaken.
As investigations continue, the nation watches closely for clarity on what caused the explosion that has once again jolted the heart of India’s capital.



